Friday, October 27, 2006

Slacker?

Hm. A half hour ago, I proudly posted that I was ready to send out my first chapbook. After that, I started browsing around on some blogs of other MFA students and started feeling like a slacker.

I submit stuff...but in small doses. 2 journals over the summer, only one last winter. I'm planning a bigger pile for this fall, but I know I'm already getting close to deadlines and have probably missed a few. I only plan to submit my chapbook to one contest. But now I'm thinking that's probably not wise. I'm bad at time management. I get stressed out easily and deal with it by watching lots of TV. I need time to turn my brain off. Perhaps I should turn my cable off instead. Then I would be forced to read, write, and get some work done. Maybe wash the dishes.

Part of the reason I'm so lax in sending my poems out is because I hate writing cover letters. They feel so cheesy. I have a formula, but I still hate it. The other reason is because I freak out about simultaneous submissions and the places that don't accept them. Do I have enough good poems to send to those journals? Or should I focus on those because I'll hear back quickly? Oh, and that "enough good poems" stuff? Seriously, someone might like the ones that I'm not crazy about, right? So shouldn't I just get everything out there? What do I have to lose? A few bucks in postage. Oy Vey. I need someone to light a fire under my ass.

Oh, and I still haven't heard from RHINO, which is making me cautiously optimistic. But I don't want to jinx myself.

No comments: