Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Odd, I know...

but this post actually has something to do with poetry!

I have new work up at keep going, a super-sweet on-line mag. Many, many thanks to the editors.


*

In other news, the apartment search might be over. I applied for a cute little studio in Buena Park today. That neighborhood was not on my list, but it looked safe, and the apartmentpeople swore it was just like Lakeview. I wish I could post pictures, but my new phone and I are having issues with email.

Let me tell you, all my fears about living in the city & relying on public transportation are completely valid!!! I think I've got twice as much gray hair as I did yesterday, and my nerves are shot. When I move, I'm going to learn the route from my front door to UIC and then I'm going to be a recluse for the rest of the time. Here's just one example of my ineptness: It took me 45 minutes to get from Union Station to the Wells/Washington el stop. They're four blocks apart. Note to self: don't ask coffee girl at Union Station for directions. She don't know any more than you do.

8 comments:

kristy bowen said...

45 minutes? I think it might just be the Taste of Chicago/high summer tourist traffic craziness..it takes me forever to get out of downtown on my way home...

Anonymous said...

Nice thoughtful poems. I especially liked 'Donny, on his Seventeenth Birthday', great punchline.

marybid said...

I used to live right on the corner of Irving and Lakeshore, right over there. It's a nice 'hood. Depending on where you are, you can get on the #8 right where it starts. :)

Sara said...

Kristy: There were a lot of people around, but it was mostly my own cluelessness. I just kept walking the wrong way for two blocks, turning around, walking the wrong way again...once I was on the train, no problem!

Jim: Thanks! Glad you liked the work.

Mary: So, the busses are numbered, huh? I'm getting this brown line blue line crap but still have no clue about the rest of CTA's hazing rituals for country bumpkins.

Carol Mac said...

Hi Sara, I lived in Southeast Ravenswood (Paulina and Berteau) in a large studio, then upgraded to a one bedroom, for four years. I liked that area because it was close to the brown line, safe, and no need to purchase parking permits (and lots of parking!) If it is not too late for you to check it out, call Cedar Realty and ask for Kathy (if she's still there). I used to take the Ashland bus to the blue line when I went to UIC. Plus there's this great bar called Long Room on Paulina at Irving...

Jennifer Sullivan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jennifer Sullivan said...

love the Medina Street poem. Congrats. Miss you. Will return on th 18th.

joaquin carvel said...

your poems are amazing. medina street is absolutely carved. and donny - i think i know that guy. thank you.