Seriously? It's Tuesday. It's the second day of the first week of the semester and already I am overwhelmed, exhausted, and running behind.
*
Italian 101: It's really weird taking a class that I could be teaching--you know, if it was in a different language. What I mean is this: the folks who are usually my students are now my classmates/groupmates/study partners. Weird.
Also weird: taking Italian when I have very rusty Spanish in my head. For example, how am I supposed to keep this straight? (The phrases below both mean "how do you say..."):
Spanish: como se dice (there should be accent marks in there somewhere)
Italian: come si dice
Pronunciation is the really hard part..."dice" in Spanish is dee-say (okay, my linguistics professors would be cringing at my phonetic spelling, but whatever) but in Italian, "dice" is pronounced dee-chay. How am I going to remember this? I'm so confused and it's only the first day!
*
The first day of intro to poetry was uneventful. Tomorrow the students are bringing in their favorite poems. I'm very curious.
*
What am I doing here? I have to do my Italian homework and answera million emails before the stolen wireless gods steal my connection.
ghosts of septembers past
17 hours ago
No comments:
Post a Comment