Sunday, August 30, 2009

those who can't do...teach?

I might have mentioned it once or twice before, but damn! teaching is hard.

Deciding what to teach is hard. Deciding how to teach it: even harder. Prepping class notes: tough. Standing in front of a classroom and putting your brain/soul on display: nearly impossible. Grading/annotating with the right amount of encouragement and criticism: exhausting.

Maybe some of you are naturals, but not me. This is the hardest job in the world.

And I want so badly to be good at it, to be inspiring, to share this thing that I love with people who might fall in love with it, too. I want to be Mr. Keating, except without the depressing turn of events at the end. I want to make people stand up on their desks and see the world in a way they didn't before. Why isn't it as easy as it looks in the movies? And why aren't I as funny as Robin Williams?

No comments: