Monday, December 28, 2009

Arsenic Lobster (and a bit about teaching and technology)

I've got four poems in the new issue of Arsenic Lobster. Lovely, lovely stuff in there. I've just barely had a chance to nose around. Can't wait to read the rest.

*

I'm quite fascinated with Digital Ethnography and am wondering how I might incorporate some of Wesch's ideas into my comp classes (or even poetry, perhaps) the next time I teach (I'll be doing all my hours in the office this coming semester, no teaching until the fall). I think this video would be a great conversation starter in a classroom:

8 comments:

Sandy Longhorn said...

Gorgeous poems, Sara. I especially liked "Summer of Hammer and Whiskey."

Sara said...

Thanks, Sandy!

Sandy Longhorn said...

Sorry to double up, but I read the poems first. The YouTube clip is fantastic, and I will definitely be using it in my Comp classes this spring. One major observation...I teach at a community college, and I'm pretty sure most of our classes are capped at 25 or 30. (I know all my students by first name by the third week.) 115 students in a class...wow! (I went to a tiny, liberal arts college for undergrad.)

Molly said...

Whew. I might have to use that in my comp class too next semester. xo

Sara said...

Sandy, I've been at relatively large state schools since I was an undergrad, but I rarely see English classes having more than 25-30, either. There are a couple of large lecture courses at UIC, but I think for the most part, we English (especially comp) instructors are among the few that know our students' names.

Glad you guys like the video! I hope it's helpful!

Owl Who Laughs said...

Congrats on the Arsenic Lobster publication--it's a great journal. I'm a member of the poetry community associated with it: Rooster Moans.

Also, that's a powerful video, all right. I might use it in my ethics class.

Chris

Sara said...

Chris, thanks for stopping by. Loved your write-up on Arsenic Lobster. Looking forward to getting a chance to browse through your archives. ST

Owl Who Laughs said...

Thanks! If you have time to read my ramblings while working on a doctorate, I'll be astounded and amazed.