Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Horse feet are heavy

I learned a new skill last night. How to use a hoof-pick.

As the title suggests, this is not so easy. I admit, I'm not a strong girl. I spend a lot of time with my nose in a book, which doesn't build strong muscles. Well, when my new best friend Banjo doesn't want his hooves picked, he'll let me pick up his feet, but then he'll just hang them there, letting me hold all the weight of his massive leg in one arm. I. Am. So. Sore.

I almost slept through my alarm this morning because I was so tired from my horse-play last night, then when I got home, I took a 3 hour nap (after taking a couple extra-strength pain relievers) and I still feel like I just ran a triathalon. I guess poetry isn't good for your health.

Karla, the owner of Banjo and friends, told me last night to make sure that my helping her in the barn wasn't interfering with my school work. I told her not to worry, that it was good for me to "get out of my head" every once in a while. Anyone else feel like this...like good hard labor is the only way to get your brain to slow down for a minute? Maybe there's a better strategy--one that won't leave me bow-legged for the next three days?

No comments: