I find it really difficult to think of fresh, unique metaphors. I'm okay with similies, but you take out like or as and all of a sudden, I'm on a bike without training wheels for the first time. Wait, is that a metaphor? Crap. I guess I can do it when I'm not trying. Well, maybe that isn't fresh and unique, which is really the goal.
Once, in a workshop, someone said, "I know you're not really a metaphor kinda person, but this poem could really use a few." That's when I realized I had a problem.
My other problem: sometimes I write prose with line breaks. Which begs the question, why don't I just write creative non-fiction? I'm not quite sure.
Changing the subject.
I have this kernel of an idea for a manuscript, and about two poems that might be the beginnings of that manuscript. It will be called Trailer Park Debutante and said debutante is a stripper. She's not the main character, at least not now, but she's pretty important. What I'm trying to figure out right now is her signature song. I want it to be a little bit cliched, but a little bit edgy, if that's possible, and I am dying for suggestions. I'm thinking either classic-rock, 80's-hair band, or southern rock a-la-Lynyrd Skynyrd, but right now the only song coming to my mind is "Cherry Pie" and that's just too obvious. Please help!
Poem: Far Gone
2 days ago
2 comments:
Black Velvet - Alaynnah Myles
It's seductive and sultry, but it packs the white trash punch.
Is that the same Black Velvet as "your slow southern smile" Black Velvet? That might just do the trick...
Thanks Trina!
Post a Comment