Saturday, August 23, 2008

Moving to Chicago: A Photo Essay

The sky was falling over Indiana the day I picked up my keys. That night, they cancelled the Cubs game because of tornado warnings and torrential rain. Boyfriend & I waited out the storm in the pink-lighted Nick's Uptown, the closest bar to my new place.

Many thanks to ZS for the table-top inspiration. Boyfriend wants to remain annonymous, although most of my faithful readers are also facebook friends (or real life friends) and know who he is anyhow.
Me: tired, frizzy-haired, trying to play the role of detached urbanite.
And the studio. It's pretty spacey now that I have everything (almost everything) put away, but I'm still having trouble getting used to sleeping five feet away from my front door.
Here's the alley my balcony looks out on. Not much of a view, but I feel a little like a character from West Side Story when I'm out there.
Last but not least, something Akron definitely doesn't have: authentic Italian food (even cannoli!) delivered right to your front door! This is the Pasta Romantica, minus the shitake mushrooms, from Fornello. (I don't have a kitchen table yet, so for the time being, I'm eating at my desk.)

All in all, if you ignore my random sobbing fits, things are going well. I'm having some trouble adjusting, but everyone seems friendly (with the exception of the receptionist in my building--the one person who is paid to be nice) and the el is all right as long as I avoid rush hour, and I think I'm really going to enjoy the program...which is, after all, the reason I'm here. So, if you catch me weeping, don't worry. I'm just processing.

3 comments:

Jeannine said...

Happy housewarming! That Italian dinner looks delicious. Seems to be a lack of good Italian in the NW, as well.
Remember to do some fun things as well, to celebrate your new city, in between the school and unpacking and everything!

Sara said...

Thanks Jeannine! Everyone keeps telling me that, but I'm in serious hermit mode. Hopefully I'll snap out of it before the week is over. I want to go sit by the lake and think about poetry one of these afternoons. Good luck with your move & the new teaching gig!

mydisguises said...

that view is fabulous. it looks like a great and inspiring spot.