According to Mr. Jensen, it's pretty hot in Arizona. Two weeks from today, I'll be able to find out for myself.
Last night was my first city fireworks experience. Even though I've lived in or around Akron for the better part of 6 years, I still manage to end up in the country for most 4th of Julys. Not this time, though. I hung out with my nephew and his friends at Musica (where we have open mics during the school year) because one of the engineering prof's band was playing, and ended up hanging out there the whole night, except when we walked over to the summa care building to watch the fireworks. I have no idea how I never knew Akron's fireworks were such a big deal. Streets were closed, people were clustered on bridges, the whole hospital parking lot was jammed with us. And the fireworks were good. Lots of them, big ones, swirly ones, ones that made me feel a little nervous and dizzy, loud ones that made my heart thump wrong. Definitely better than the little po-dunk ones I grew up with. (No offense small towns, I'll always love you best) The one thing that was missing at this urban display of patriotism? Darkness. They should have turned off the streetlights. In the country, everything is pitch black until the first explosion, which makes it way more exciting.
I'm not feeling very well today and would really love to go back to bed. But guess what? I have class tonight and no poem yet. There should be plenty of time but I'm just not feeling very creative. Sorry for whining. I can't help it sometimes.
the anxieties of blue skies
1 week ago
2 comments:
I need to check those fireworks out next year.
Good luck with your poem! It's way too gloomy in Akron these last few days.
You should definitely check them out! Although it may traumatize Gabi and Ray...that stuff is LOUD!
The poem came out okay...I'll pass it along to you soon.
Post a Comment