I have been so busy lately--and not just "wow, there's a lot on my to do list, but I'm watching TV" busy--that I have gotten really bad at answering emails, updating my blog, etc. (So, if I owe you some sort of communication, please forgive me!) But I'm still really good at updating my facebook status. I'm taking a little break right now for dinner, but then it's back to Ashbery. I don't know what I've gotten myself into--I'm supposed to be coming up with a theory as to how his seemingly unrelated phrases and images work together to make meaning. Huh? I'm sooo not the scholar I pretend to be. The worst part is, if I bomb this, me and the prof won't be the only ones who know--I have to present this paper, conference style, to my whole class and whoever else decides to show up next Wednesday. Fun!
*
I really wish I was going to Winter Wheat this weekend. Looks like there will be some really great sessions, and of course lots of old NEObuddies. I hope you guys have fun!!
the anxieties of blue skies
1 week ago
3 comments:
That's definitely the difference between college and high school. In high school the teachers much spoon-feed kids and give them extra servings, as often as possible, to make sure students know. In college, we're told to read the chapter (or the book, more like it) and come to class with all the answers. Whatever happened to giving me the answers, and then testing me on that?
Don't worry dude, I just posted a "sorry, I've been lame and swamped blog too!" "Life" it's called I believe.
Sara:
Start with Jung and the collective unconscious---how all things really are related/connected even if they don't seem so on the surface.
Move on to ideas like paradox and maybe even find Pablo Neruda's Book of Questions. Those poems are exactly what you should be looking at to prove that point.
Post a Comment