I'm getting a little tired of these effing April showers. Especially since I lost my umbrella about a month ago, and then broke the one I bought to replace it. I haven't yet bought a replacement for the replacement.
*
I am totally in love with Garfunkel and Oates. Thanks, Daniela, for posting the video. Their song "Pregnant Women Are Smug" makes my day. Every time. I'm sorry, pregnant ladies. That song is just so damn true.
*
My friends over at Artifice said they've been getting lots of hits from my link, which makes me feel like my blog is awesome. But really, you should send them some stuff.
*
I'm going to see Philip Levine at the Art Institute tonight. This will probably be the highlight of my week.
*
I have less than a week to finish my papers. I'm hoping that means panic will set in soon.
*
I'm reading Brenda Shaughnessy's Human Dark With Sugar. It's lovely.
*
I quit my summer job. When I first applied for it, I thought it sounded too good to be true--like, they pay so well, there has to be a catch. Well, the catch was, from what I heard, that there's lots of stuff you have to do "off the clock." The worst part was that I would have to give my students' parents my phone number. I'm sorry, but I hate talking on the phone and there's no job in the world where I want my "clients" calling me on my personal line. Frankly, I consider that an invasion of privacy that I'm not willing to sign up for.
I have a meeting today for a new summer job, one that is not trying to buy my soul for $500 a week. The hours are flexible and the pay is good. And the best part is--if I get this job, I should actually have time to write poetry!
*
I've almost--almost--made it through the first year of my PhD. Only 4 more to go (barring any unforeseen circumstances).
ghosts of septembers past
17 hours ago
3 comments:
I'm already happy with the decision.
And, on another note, I watched the video of that song you mentioned by Garfunkel and Oates above--it was so excellent!!
I hope the new job works out! And I am SO sick of the rain, too. Funny thing is, we are doing everything we can to move back to Seattle. Maybe we should rethink that. But at least you know it's going to rain everyday there. And it's not always a downpour, sometimes just a mist or drizzle. Not so bad.
On the song front. I could only listen to their pregnant women song, and I admit, even to us pregnant ladies(shhh, still a secret), it is pretty funny. Maybe a little mean, but I am not like ANY of those women- haha. Even my husband thought it was hilarious and said we should save it to send to all our friends when they find out they are pregnant. I just keep listening to it and laughing and my cheeks are starting to hurt. Thanks for sharing!
I'm glad you guys like the song! And Sarah, (imagine me whispering conspiratorially) congrats!
Post a Comment