Thursday, December 17, 2009

spreadsheets, snowboots, & goodreads

I've been building a ginormous spreadsheet of all the lucky journals who are going to have the chance to consider my poems in the next month or so and when I need a break from the geeky Excel stuff, I work on poems. The poems are in worse shape than the spreadsheet. I have a lot of rough drafts, a lot of half-formed ideas. I haven't sat down to make the poems do what poems do in a long time. I'm going to have to before the big winter submission. The HUGE winter submission.

*

My Barberton day went swimmingly. The students were sweet and sharp and asked great questions and it was toughtoughtough. I don't know how you high school teachers do it, 5, 6 classes a day, 5 days a week. I admire and am awed by you.

I don't think I'll be banned from Barberton after all.

*

I bought a pair of snow boots today. I'm going to hate myself for saying this later, but right now, I can't wait for it to snow so I can wear them. They're cute and furry, but in a subtle way. You know, they're not giant fur leg-warmers like Chippendale dancer boots.

*

Flood Year is on Goodreads.
I hadn't logged into Goodreads for at least six months, so I didn't know until today. I have one review (from Karen) one person currently reading (Brandi) and I'm on one person's to read list (Susan Slaviero). It's a darn good beginning, I'd say.

*

Did you know Costco sells diamonds?

5 comments:

Gary L. McDowell said...

Now, my dear, Flood Year has a second review! I'm only sorry it took me so long. Flood Year is so damn good!

Sara said...

Thanks, Gary! That was an awesome review!

Gary L. McDowell said...

I wasn't very formal about it... hope you don't mind. I was just riffing, having fun, like most GoodReads folks seem to do. Honestly though, it's a tremendous chapbook, Sara. I can't wait to see the full-length that'll surely follow. Congrats again!

Sara said...

Of course I don't mind! I loved it. And I forgot to tell you, I finally had a chance to read TSOF before I left Chicago. It was a quick read, so I'll save any review writing for after a second, longer look...but good, good stuff there.

Gary L. McDowell said...

Okay, glad the informality was okay.

And so happy you enjoyed TSOF. I look forward, though, of course, don't expect, any remarks you have.

Take care!