is like a week without, well, nothing much really. I didn't even notice it had been that long. I've been really busy getting ready for school and such.
I read Jeannine Hall Gailey's Becoming the Villainess and Simone Muench's Lampblack & Ash this week (thanks to Mary's great reading list for Poetry of the Body). Really enjoyed both books, and I've started picking up on how other poets write narratives without sounding prosey (my biggest problem--I think), so hopefully this means as I embark on my thesis writing, I'll be writing less prosey narrative poems, and lots of 'em!
There are 25 kids signed up for my Comp class this semester. Last semester, I had 16. I'm a little intimidated by this number. And bummed out, because I think my super-cool, high-tech classroom may be too small for this many students. We'll see on Wednesday, when they're packed in like sardines and sitting in the aisles between desks. I don't want to give up my plethora of white boards and fancy-schmancy projector/AV system, though, so I'm going to be mean and try to get half of them to drop (insert maniacal laugh here).
I'm excited for AWP. Some friends and I are going down early to explore Hotlanta and surely get into trouble. I hope we can find Virginia Highlands and the cool Irish pub I went to the last time I was down there...but it was a few years ago and I am directionally challenged, so we'll see. Luckily, if I do get into any trouble, my cousin is on the Atlanta PD, so maybe he'll keep me out of jail.
I must, must get my submissions out on Tuesday (why does Monday have to be a holiday? I need the post office!) or I will put them off again until it's too late. 2007 must be the year of publishing for me, or my future will start looking a little bleak.
I'll be updating to the new blogger soon. Seems I'm the last one and I can't comment on anyone's blog anymore. Means you all probably can't comment on mine. Wish me luck.
the anxieties of blue skies
1 week ago
No comments:
Post a Comment