Wednesday, January 03, 2007

I can't believe there's less than two weeks before spring semester starts. I'm a little sad that I haven't been more productive (Damn Tyra Banks, VH1, and America's Next Top Model Marathons for stealing the last two days from me!) and wishing that I had another month or so before the daily grind starts again. I have another temp job starting tomorrow and the weekend before school starts, I'm hoping to go visit my sister in Virginia, so I only have a few free days left. Still want to write/revise a few more poems and work on my syllabus and class plan, but I'm probably not going to get as much done as I hope.

I'll try to keep this short--but I'm fretting about PhDs again today. I just wish there was a little crystal ball that could tell me if I'll end up in academia or not. I'm feeling kind of risk-averse lately, and am scared to death about being broke and jobless in 6-8 years. I was watching Oprah today (I'm ashamed to admit) and the episode was about "Class in America." Most of what she and her experts said wasn't very surprising, but there was one statistic that made me a bit uncomfortable. They said that most people don't move from their parents' social class, and if they do move from one class to another, they're more likely to move down a notch. Great. Just makes me wonder how wise it is to continue living off student loans when I could get a job that actually pays decently.

Well, now that I'm thoroughly depressed, I think I'm going to go watch some TV and go to bed early. I'll feel better tomorrow.

No comments: