Monday, July 30, 2007

Bisbee Recap

The People


Bob and Estellean Wick are the most gracious hosts any wayward traveler could ask for. They welcomed us into their home and pampered us with delicious food, beautiful surroundings, and delightful conversation. It was far more than any of us hoped for or expected. They took us to some of the best restaurants in Bisbee and Nogales, Mexico (where they demonstrated their excellent salsa dancing skills). Both Bob and Estellean are thoughtful, intelligent, creative, and insightful and happy to share their memories, stories, and beliefs with anyone who asks. And they're not shy about sharing opinions or asking tough questions either.
The Wick's also have a wonderful staff at their home; Marita and Elvita, two wonderful cooks who always had coffee ready for us by 5:30 a.m. and never let us go hungry, and Lalo, a very talented gardener who patiently allowed Jay and I to practice our Spanish skills with him. The poor man probably never heard "como se dice" so many times in his life!



Then there are the residents of Bisbee. All generous, welcoming, and excited to have a bunch of poets in town. The reading at the Oliver House had an amazing turn-out; the place was packed! Since it rained that night, we read inside. The room was too small, so people lined the halls, the stairways, and even stood outside and listened through the windows. I've never seen so many people so interested in poetry (except maybe at AWP) in the same place.

Finally, I can't forget my traveling companions. It was the perfect combination of old and new friends, connections and rekindlings. The best night of the trip had nothing to do with location and everything to do with who I was with. We sat around drinking wine and talking and I haven't had so much fun in ages.





The Places:


I'll let the photos do the talking.

The view from the Wick Ranch, sunrise.

The view from the Wick's driveway:

Chiricahua Mountains:

Nogales, Mexico





Final Thoughts


This trip meant so much more to me than I can explain here, so this post almost feels silly. I'll just say that I can't imagine a better gift for a writer, especially a beginning writer, than to provide everything she could possibly ask for, for an entire week, and ask nothing in return except that she spend all her free time writing. The Wicks seem to understand and nurture the creative process in everything they do, in the place where they live, in the way that they act. To bring us into that world, off the grid, away from TV and internet and constant headlines, and allow us to submerge ourselves in words and ideas was an amazing blessing. And Maggie, our teacher, our facilitator, was just as nurturing and encouraging as we could ask as well (and not without a stern hand when we got off track, either).

The southwest is sooo far from Ohio not only in distance, but in landscape, in air, in flora and fauna...it made everything feel new. The way the earth got greener each time it rained, the way the sky changed in seconds from sunny to black and ominous, the way the mountains reflected light, these things opened my eyes to my own landscape, made things that are familiar and almost mundane become precious because they were missing. And mornings. Arizona almost made me a morning person.

As far as my writing, my thesis...I generated so many ideas that I don't know when I'll have time to write them all down. I'm not sure my plan is any clearer now, but it is richer. And my mss is longer than the page minimum finally, which means I have room to play.

Sad that it's over, but more ready now to continue with the day-to-day. I spent a lot of time at the ranch thinking about next steps and my future. I realized that the not knowing is the blessing. Opening doors and checking things out sounds like the best possible plan for the next couple years. I'm ready to ask questions.



4 comments:

jessica said...

S--
Thank you for posting your pics. It really took me back and gave me a little sign to see it all again. You know, as an Ohio girl, I didn't really know how to process it all for a really long time. But it does come, in little buds, and you'll know what to do with it when it happens.

Also--I've been writing a Tombstone series this summer and I was wondering if I sent it to you, if you would give me your comments, maybe, in a few weeks or so. I would LOVE to return the favor with your thesis manuscript and give you my comments, whatever they're worth :)

Sara said...

Jessica, that's a great idea! Do you have my email address? If not, I'll get yours from Mary.

jessica said...

mine is jjewell2@kent.edu. :) and you can send your manuscript whenever you want. i'm really excited to read it!!

Amy said...

Sara, thanks for the lovely Bisbee report...
and congrats on all your recent publications!