Hey ya'll, check out the new issue of FRiGG. There just might be five poems I wrote in there. : )
4 comments:
Anonymous
said...
Always nice to see a decent grouping of a poet's work. If I had been the editor I'd have left out the last poem for another time. It works on its own merits but it seems the odd one out amongst the five. It didn't leave me feeling uncomfortable as did the others.
The first was my favourite. I can relate to a lot of what you're on about only, in my case, both my parents were devout, at least on the surface, and it was the kids who went through periods of doubt, reconciliation and, for some, rejection. It's not something I write about. Maybe one day.
Two things tripped me up. In 'Theology' the question at the end should be, "To whom?" I know that may not be what was said in reality but it still didn't read right. Had I been writing the poem I might have considered him saying, "To myself?" but I would likely have rejected it; there's no place for humour in a poem like this.
The other thing was the block of text 'Because Someone Called Amy a Slut'. I'm not saying formatting it that way is wrong, I just find it had to read. Increasing the spaces in between the lines would have been a help but that's an editorial decision. I have the same bone to pick with all of Beckett's tiny prose pieces.
I love the idea of a theist saying she doesn't believe in atheists.
Thanks for the careful reading, Jim. As far as the who/whom comment, I've certainly heard it before, but as a midwesterner, the word whom has never come through my lips naturally, so to me, it wouldn't sound right to edit for grammar's sake. Now, if you were an editor who was publishing my book...
Have you heard the joke about the Midwestern girl on the airplane? She looks at the woman next to her and asks, "So, where are you from?" The woman answers, "Somewhere where we know better than to end a sentence with a preposition." The Midwestern girl thinks a moment, then says, "So, where are you from, Bitch?"
I enjoyed these poems a lot -- especially the one about your father and his surgery. I haven't seen this journal before, and I really liked the content. Thanks for introducing this issue!
I am a poet and PhD student at the University of Illinois at Chicago. My chapbook, Flood Year, is forthcoming from dancing girl press in September, 2009. My work has recently appeared in Hiram Poetry Review, Keep Going, Harpur Palate, Wicked Alice, Lily, Hobble Creek Review, and FRiGG.
4 comments:
Always nice to see a decent grouping of a poet's work. If I had been the editor I'd have left out the last poem for another time. It works on its own merits but it seems the odd one out amongst the five. It didn't leave me feeling uncomfortable as did the others.
The first was my favourite. I can relate to a lot of what you're on about only, in my case, both my parents were devout, at least on the surface, and it was the kids who went through periods of doubt, reconciliation and, for some, rejection. It's not something I write about. Maybe one day.
Two things tripped me up. In 'Theology' the question at the end should be, "To whom?" I know that may not be what was said in reality but it still didn't read right. Had I been writing the poem I might have considered him saying, "To myself?" but I would likely have rejected it; there's no place for humour in a poem like this.
The other thing was the block of text 'Because Someone Called Amy a Slut'. I'm not saying formatting it that way is wrong, I just find it had to read. Increasing the spaces in between the lines would have been a help but that's an editorial decision. I have the same bone to pick with all of Beckett's tiny prose pieces.
I love the idea of a theist saying she doesn't believe in atheists.
An interesting collection.
Thanks for the careful reading, Jim. As far as the who/whom comment, I've certainly heard it before, but as a midwesterner, the word whom has never come through my lips naturally, so to me, it wouldn't sound right to edit for grammar's sake. Now, if you were an editor who was publishing my book...
Have you heard the joke about the Midwestern girl on the airplane? She looks at the woman next to her and asks, "So, where are you from?" The woman answers, "Somewhere where we know better than to end a sentence with a preposition." The Midwestern girl thinks a moment, then says, "So, where are you from, Bitch?"
Do I have a point? Who knows.
I enjoyed these poems a lot -- especially the one about your father and his surgery. I haven't seen this journal before, and I really liked the content. Thanks for introducing this issue!
Sara:
Congratulations! Fine poems, and certainly proof that you are going in the right direction.
Post a Comment