My summer job has flexible hours. Really flexible. I decide how many hours to work, when to come in, etc. The only restriction is that I have to work sometime between 9-5 and a minimum of 4 hours at a time (max 40 per week, obviously. I usually aim for 30).
I woke up today not feeling like working. And now, since it's 10 minutes to 8, and it takes me an hour to get there, I definitely won't be starting at 9. It would be a stretch to get there by ten, actually, because I haven't showered yet either.
The truth is, I'm thinking about not going at all today.
If my mother's reading this, she's shaking her head at me and saying, "But I thought you were broke."
Money is tight, but so is time! One of the things I've come to love about the academic schedule is being able to run errands when everyone else is at work. Same with appointments--haircuts, doctors, apartment viewings, etc. And I really need to start finding an apartment.
Okay, let's face it. I'm just listing excuses why I shouldn't have to go to work today. But responsible me is saying, "Get it together." I can be there by 10:30 and work a solid 6.5 hour day.
Writer me is saying, "Write a new draft, then go to work."
Starving artist/bohemian grad student me is saying, "You'll figure out a way to live without that money. Stay home and get some real work done."
Aaaaah! Is this what it's like to have multiple personalities? Because I am definitely feeling a little insane right now.
ghosts of septembers past
17 hours ago
2 comments:
Seriously, what IS this job of yours?
It's "Grad students are cheap labor" data entry. I'll explain when I see you.
Post a Comment