Sunday, June 07, 2009

progress

I've read five of the fifty books on my list so far, and started 2 more. I also ordered all the ones I don't own from the library (except for Midnight Voices and Cadaver Dogs, which neither the Chicago public library nor I-Share has (a tragedy, btw, that Illinois has such lousy poetry collections. I expect this sort of thing from Ohio...). Anyway, I'm going to have to hold off on buying either book until I get my finances in order, so my summer reading list might be down to 48).

I'm reading all the small books first, because those are the easiest to read on the train on the way to and from work. I don't know what I'm going to do when I'm down to all the books that weigh three pounds each.

*

It's time to purge. Clothes, files, books, everything. I'm moving again soon, and, let's face it, I'm a pack rat. If I have this much junk that I never touch at 28, I don't want to think about what I'll be like at 48.

The trouble is, I don't know what to get rid of in terms of my writing. When do you toss old drafts?

*

I can't begin to explain why this is, but I've decided I want to be able to do the splits by the time I'm 30. When I was 15 and on my high school gymnastics team, I couldn't do the splits, so I don't know what kind of crazy pills I'm taking... but still, I'm going to try. Let the stretching commence.

*

I'm going to be house/dog sitting at the farm in July and am super-psyched. It will be more like a mini-residency than a house sitting gig because I'll be all alone out in the woods with nothing but time to write and read. The farm is a little too far from civilization (read: my friends and family) to see them regularly, so I really will have lots of time to work. Can't wait!

*

I guess that's all. Time to read before bed. Maybe a little Whitman. Nah...I'm feeling kinda prosey. Maybe The Noonday Demon.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

When do you toss old drafts? I've never saved them.

Sara said...

Really? But what if you realize the original was better than the revision? How do you fix it?

Kristina said...

Boy, that's a mystery to me as well. I tend to keep everything, and usually some on the computer, some in hard copy, and can hardly keep track of what's what or where.

But I returned from my trip with the full intention to let the purging commence (clothes, cupboards, files, perhaps even books) and not let all the clutter weigh me down any longer. My sister's small, organized Berlin apartment was quite inspiring.

When will you be at the farm? Perhaps I should come out for a day or reading and writing far away from Portage Path traffic...

Sara said...

Kristina! I would love if you came to the farm for a day. Of course, I'll have to check with K&C, but I'm sure they wouldn't mind. And we could trade poems and have a mini workshop.

Too bad we can't purge together, too. :)