Monday, March 26, 2007

Ugh.

I'm having a hard time being a teacher today. I feel like I'm not doing a very good job and I have a tendency to not like doing things I don't think I'm good at. My students are tough this semester. They don't like to participate. And I don't like to lecture. This isn't a good combination. When I plan a discussion and no one talks, I don't know what to do with the rest of the class period. I suppose I'm just not being tough enough, that I should be calling on people and forcing them to talk (or using the activities you all suggested for me a few weeks back), but the truth is, I don't want to have to force them. I want them to care and be active particpants in their own education. Is that too much to ask?

I was reading some articles today about Teach for America, and apparently, there are a lot of people out there who think the program undermines "real" teacher training (i.e. Education degrees) because they only provide 5 weeks of training. Do you know what I would give for 5 weeks of training? I got 4 days! About 20 hours. Did anyone teach me what to do with a non-responsive or disrespectful class? Nope. Do I have the skills to bring a wayward discussion back to the topic we were supposed to be discussing? Not so much. Will I get them through this sink-or-swim situation I'm in right now? Maybe. Could I use more training? Most definitely.

I suppose most TAs feel like this at some point during their first year. I'm just not enjoying it right now. I have so many other things to worry about (hello term papers!) that I really want to be able to kick out a quickie class plan and not worry that it will be a miserable failure.

3 comments:

Justin Evans said...

Sent you an e-mail

marybid said...

Sara, I think we all feel that way. It gets so much easier with experience, though. Teaching is such a hard job sometimes.

You know that I always recommend making the students draw on the board. ;) It can actually help reboot the classroom dynamics and get them interacting with each other.

I'm sure Justin has some awesome advice for you too!

Sara said...

Thanks guys! I'm feeling much better now. :)