I've prided myself for some time now on my ability to organize my life via excel spreadsheets (see here)...but the thing is, it doesn't matter how effective the columns are or how intuitive the color coding is, if you don't update them, they don't work.
The problem is, I can't remember who I got rejections from over the summer. Between the traveling and the packing, the mail got opened and thrown into a pile. Who knows which pile? I think I managed to pay all my bills, but I did not manage to keep track of my rejections.
Now, between my bad records, the fact that I moved, and that I think my last batch of SASEs had $.41 stamps on them, I have a feeling that I'll never know which poems are still out there in the world.
Anybody ever been in this position? Do you query, even though you might have already gotten a rejection? Do you just put those poems aside and wait? Or do you assume the worst and put them back into circulation?
I need a new system anyway. The old one is a mess.
Poem: Far Gone
2 days ago
1 comment:
I would just sent them back into circuit. The worst that can happen is you get accepted 2 places, and that's not so bad.
I keep track of my submissions in a little journal0like book. For each batch I list the name of pub and date, then list the address or email address and the poems. I have a list in the back of each poem that is out with a check mark. When the poem is rejected I put a slash through the mark. This way, I can see how many times each poem has been rejected. I also keep a list of pubs I'm waiting to hear from and slash them out when I do.
Post a Comment