Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Break-up/Break-down/Break-through

I constantly struggle with how personal to get on this blog. My first impulse: totally personal. Then I remember that I'm also hoping to someday use this as a site for self-promotion and think that I should stick to academics and poetry.

Well, that's not very much fun. And while I've never had a ton of readers, I think there's even fewer these days. Is it possible that people actually prefer my whining and introspection? Hopefully, because today, that's what you're going to get.

*

I've been sad lately. Sad about my break-up, sad about some other personal relationships that aren't/can't be what I thought/hoped, sad about being away from my family, etc. And what is surprising to me in all of this is learning to distinguish "sad" from "depressed." Having been diagnosed with chronic depression at 21 (and having self-diagnosed years before that), I am programmed to label all bad feelings: Depression. But that's not it. There's a difference between chronic and acute that I never had to learn. Right now, my sadness is directly related to events in my life, in a way that previously wasn't true.

I don't know what that all means, but it's something I'm trying to figure out. There's a lot I'm trying to figure out. Like who the hell I am after this last crazy year. This time last year, I was waiting anxiously to hear back about my PhD apps (I think I might have already heard from UIC, but I'm not sure) and everyone I talked to said they hoped I would end up in Chicago (well, maybe not everyone, but a lot of people) because small town girls like me need to live in a big city once in their lives. What? Says who? Something about being in unfamiliar territory being good for your work--a shock to the senses. Well, I still wonder why Chicago was supposed to be better for that than say, Knoxville, TN, or Tallahassee, FL (or any of the five other places I applied to). I'm way burnt-out on public transportation, smelly homeless people, and cement. Why couldn't I be someplace where a car isn't an inconvenience? Where there's grass in places other than public parks? Where you can actually see horizon once in a while (across the lake doesn't count)?

But back to the original question--how has this past year changed me? I haven't figured that out yet. I'm probably tougher, I guess, street-smarter. A little bit braver. I can do tequila shots without training wheels now, and drink PBR just as fast as anyone else sitting around Lil Joe's on a Wednesday night. I'm healthier--I quit smoking. But am I a better poet like everyone said I would be? Hell no. I haven't written a poem that I'm ready to submit since I've moved here, and it's been over six months. Maybe I've become a tougher critic. But mostly, I think being out of my comfort zone has forced me to focus on survival to such an extent that I don't know how to tap into my new/boundary-pushing experiences in a creative way.

I'm also less confident than I was when I got here, and I've never been a terribly confident person. I'm afraid to speak my mind in class because I don't want to disagree with the profs (and I usually do) unless I'm sure I can argue my side (and I usually can't), I constantly feel like I'm on the outside of an inside joke because I haven't read the right book or essay, I doubt my own abilities as a student/scholar/poet in ways that I never have before. On the other hand, I have increased confidence in my ability to teach and in my desire to teach. But the balance isn't good. Maybe that's it--balance. I can do tequila without training wheels but I can't do PhD work without them. I'm uncentered and off-kilter.

It's not all bad, though. My cohort (that's what they call the incoming class here) is amazing: lots of smart, interesting people who are as good at gossip and silliness as they are at theory and criticism. I'm heading back to Ohio on Friday for a much needed dose of family and country living. And even if I'm not doing work that I totally love, I'm being challeneged and pushed and do have some small bit of faith that eventually I will get out on the other side feeling smarter, more in control of my poetic talents, more eloquent, more prepared for my career as a poet and professor. I've never been so great at the waiting part, at the struggling through. I like instant gratification (who doesn't?) and I'm frustrated that the big changes haven't happened yet, I guess.

Still, I'm waiting for that break-through. I need some poetry to gush out of me too fast to edit. I need to come up with a kick-ass paper idea that I can get excited about researching and writing. I need to meet someone (a prof, another student?) who will click with me, my work, who will get what I'm trying to do and know how to beat it out of me. I'm freaking tired of floundering. I'm tired of writing half-baked drafts that bore me when I go back to them. I'm tired of being the new kid, the country girl who's homesick all the time, the MFA who doesn't know how to talk about theory. I just don't know how to fix any of it. I guess I'll just keep doing what I'm doing until I figure it out.

*

And just for good measure--here's my "F-you, Chicago" song (and when I say Chicago, I mean my whole new life, just so you know. I'm over hating the city, for the most part (besides what I mentioned above).)

8 comments:

Brandi said...

Oh Sara!

I have so much to say... the main thing being, I think, that the big changes ARE happening, just in small, small increments.

Some specifics:

"I constantly feel like I'm on the outside of an inside joke because I haven't read the right book or essay"--
I pretty much ALWAYS feel like this... it was just as bad in my MFA as it was in my MA but now I think that that's just how it's (life's) going to be. The point is, you now at least know what you don't know, and that's a starting point. Now you know where to look to educate yourself...

As far as tapping into "new/boundary-pushing experiences in a creative way," you might not be able to do that for a long, long time. One of my professors told me that sometimes we just need to distance ourselves from events in order to be able to write about them, so maybe you just don't have enough distance yet? I didn't really write about Chicago except for the past 3 or so years, and I've been here (and ok, in the suburbs, blech) for 10... The shock to your senses WILL be good for your work and, I think, your life, but maybe just not NOW.

And on the good-for-your-life part, for one, you'll be more comfortable traveling elsewhere because you'll know how to navigate your way around in a way that people who don't live in cities can't (I can say this for sure!).

Also, you'll eventually see the beauty (sometimes) in the cement, homeless people, the public transportation. And seeing beauty in the ugly places is always poetic!

And maybe you'll start to think about things like, hey, maybe living without a car is more ethical than depending on one? Why have I been raised to think that having a car is the only way to live? What forces are behind that? Stuff like that...

And actually, "depending" is a good place to start. Living in the city has made me feel like I can navigate life without depending on life being any particular, prescribed way... I feel like I can handle myself during unexpected events in ways that people who think that life-should-only-be-lived-one-way might not be able to.

And as far as doubting your abilities, the best advice I can give is to ask the questions you're afraid to ask! Ask ask Ask! People love to feel like they know things. Chances are, someone else in the room doesn't know what's happening either.

Oh, and p.s. every will-be-romance-novelist should know how to write the city! So much drama, intrigue, potential for highs and lows!

HOkay, I think that's what I have for now... hopefully this will help. Hang in there til this weekend, and let's hang out when you get back... the past 3 or so weeks have been killing me too...

xoxo,
B

Brandi said...

Oh hell, and finally, I'm sad to see that you have indigo girls as your eff-you-chicago song... but that's what I love about the indigo girls, they're eff-you and depressing at the same time... fantastic.

Sara said...

Oh Brandi!

Have I told you lately that I love you? :)

I'm sure you're right on all accounts--I just need, like in all things I've talked about here today, a little time to get my head around it.

And a long walk in the woods.

As for the Indigo Girls, they are my go to group for f-you songs (and I love you songs now that I think about it).

Tater Tot Tuesday next week? Carbs can solve all our problems!!

Karen J. Weyant said...

Hi Sara -- Just catching up on your blog. I'm sorry to hear your blues -- as for feeling like you are on the outside of an inside joke -- I think everyone in academia feels that way. I'm going to a conference in Boston, and I have no idea what most of the sessions are talking about!

You should find time to read Limbo: Blue Collar Roots, White Collar Dreams by Alfred Lubrano. I could never really pinpoint my insecurities until I read this book.

Sara said...

Thanks, Karen! I will definitely check out Limbo. Good luck at the conference.

Jeannine said...

Dear Sara,
I echo what other people have already said - soon you'll be the insider making critical references other people don't know anything about, before you know it! :) And remember to read other stuff, too, outside of school, to keep your brain stimulated - and plus, you can bring your independent readings into your discussions as well. I would also suggest that you raise your hand and speak out in class too. None of my profs ever yelled at me for my (somewhat frequent) disagreements...and it made me feel more empowered.
The other thing is - as someone who has lived in a lot of places over her lifetime - it is good to get exposed to as much "stuff" as possible, but certain landscapes - for me, it's mountains and trees - will always feel like home. But I'm glad I lived in weird, crazy islands and whatnot - I met people I would never have met and each place helped me later create imagery, have a basket o' images, that I never would have had otherwise. I haven't loved every place I've lived but I have felt like each place left a kind of mark on my writing - the colloquialisms, the different values, the strangeness of the wildlife...the vegetarian eco-warriors of Seattle versus the guns-and-dogs ethos of Richmond, VA - as someone on the outside looking in, it's building your writing skills, I promise.

The Wilhelms said...

I didn't have time to comment when I read this yesterday...but I did enjoy your "whining and introspection." Academics and poetry are all well and good, just not as interesting! Hang in there, it always does get better eventually- and Detroit isn't too far away should you need an excape, you are always welcome to come visit my madness (might make it greatful for your own, who knows?) I'm hoping we will make a trip to Chicago this Spring, so maybe we can get together...
And I hope that posting embarrassing pictures from elementary school helped to raise your mood a bit...it did mine ;)

Anne Haines said...

This totally sounds like the words of someone who's pushing up against the edge of some kind of breakthrough, to me. I mean, what do I know from PhD school -- but my experience is that there's this totally muddled, displaced, frustrated, "I have all these pieces of stuff and they don't fit together in any way that makes sense" feeling that happens right before some kind of creative or intellectual breakthrough. So, I say, go for it. Keep pushing yourself a bit, recognize that you're out of your comfort zone & it's OK to acknowledge that, speak up in class just on general principle, and I bet six months from now you'll be singing a different tune.

Might still be Indigo Girls though. ;) (I just bought a ticket today for an IG show in April. Yay! I've seen them a bunch of times, and they're always fun.)