Thursday, February 26, 2009

Specs, Storms, and Something Like a Break-through

Got some new glasses today. Wasn't expecting to get them so quickly, so I'm pretty psyched. No self portraits for now because I'm not wearing any makeup, but let me tell you, these glasses are definitely dorky-chic. Love it.

*

It was warm and cloudy when I left today, thunderstorming when I came home. I don't really know what to think of a thunderstorm in February, especially one that literally rattles the glass in my sliding door.

*

Ask and ye shall receive, right? On Tuesday, I wrote about wishing that I would a) find someone here at UIC to work with who got what I'm trying to do and b) find a paper topic I'm excited about for this semester. Well, yesterday I got both. Granted, the prof is not a poetry person, so it's not exactly what I was looking for, but he's definitely interested in my working class/rust belt ideas and thinks the paper that I'll be starting for his class will probably turn into an exam list. We had a really productive conversation and I'm feeling so much better about school, insecurities and all.

Thanks to everyone who commented on my last post--it means alot to have your support. One thing I do want to say is that I'm very aware that one never truly reads everything one should, but rational thoughts like that tend to slip my mind when I'm in the middle of a rant. As for asking questions: I'll work on that. : )

4 comments:

Anne Haines said...

some of my very best readers/idea-bouncer-offers have been not-poetry people. Good luck! :)

Jennifer Sullivan said...

Those glasses are adorable, but of course, I am a dorky chic glasses kinda gal. I hope you are doing okay and I am thinking about you. I like that comment someone made about you being right on the cusp of a poetry breakthrough. I hope you are right where you need to be at this moment:)

Marissa said...

I love those glasses. I've been thinking I should get new frames too so that when I rip my contacts, I'm not so self-conscious. My frames are 7!! years old.

Sara said...

Thanks, Ladies!

Jen - I miss you like crazy. Come visit me!!

Marissa - Get some new glasses, crazy.