Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Tiny Triumph

During my first year of grad school, I had to do a presentation on Foucault's Power/Knowledge. I didn't get it at all and spent hours and hours rereading with my dictionary in my lap. I literally cried. I had quit smoking a couple of months before, but I found myself in my car, driving to the gas station, and buying a pack of Camels without even thinking about it.

Since then, I cringed at the sound of Foucault's name. And blamed him for my failed attempt at becoming a non-smoker.

I'd like you all to know that I just finished a reading response of his Biopolitics lectures and didn't want to light up even once. I don't know what I'm happier about--that I pretty much understood what I read, or that I'm finally really a non-smoker. So there, Foucault. So there, RJ Reynolds.

1 comment:

Justin Evans said...

Good for you! On both counts!