I don't think I want a PhD. At least not right away. I think this hemming and hawing and being fickle and indecisive is my subconscious's way of telling me, "I don't think so." I'm tired of writing papers and reading stuff that I don't want to read. I want more time to learn, more time to write, but I don't think I need to do it in a formal setting. I'm not ready to go on the academic job market, but I don't want to sign up for another degree just because I think it will help me get a job. And at this point, that's the primary reason I've been thinking about PhDs. So for now, the answer is no.
Instead, I'm starting to look into Teach for America and the Peace Corps. I think the Peace Corps will be impossible considering my current financial responsibilities (for example, that pesky 60-month loan I have on my car), but Teach for America seems pretty freaking cool (and I can take my car with me!). Lots more research to do, but if I'm going to apply for either, I'll need to decide by mid to late summer to get the process going. Back up plan? If I don't get either, I can always stay on at Akron as a part-timer. And I think I know some people who wouldn't mind too much if I got stuck in Akron. Right, Mary?
Well, now that my future seems sort of planned out (for the moment, anyhow), I can go back to the immediate concerns: class-plans, thesis writing, term papers.
If the weather keeps up like this, I predict there will be buds by this time next week. Thank God!
notes & things | 10/6/26
3 hours ago
1 comment:
Sara, talk to Chura re: the peace corps--he was in it. What a cool idea!
You can always wait and think about the Ph.D. for a while, and publish some more poems in the meantime.
I'm still not ready to believe that you are graduating... :) Nooo!
Post a Comment