Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Mary, don't read this! : )

Dear MFA grads (and folks with PhD's too, I guess),

What is a good "thanks-for-keeping-me-from-going-crazy-the-past-three-years-and-helping-me-learn-how-to-write-good-poems" gift for thesis committee members?

Actually, it's okay if Mary reads this because I know what I'm getting for her, but I don't know about the rest of my committee.

I suck at buying gifts. I'm a big fan of gift certificates. But that's just not going to cut it in this situation. Help!!

Signed,
a frantic almost-MFA grad

6 comments:

marybid said...

Sara, I always gave my committee members a nice, thoughful thank you note with like a paragraph of writing in it, and a small box of Godiva chocolates. In usual dorky MB fashion, I had a special way of taping the box to the car so it didn't get separated. Seemed to work just fine, though it might be a little froufy for some of the folks around here.

marybid said...

Umm, that should say taping the box to the CARD, not the car. Though a car would make a great gift too...

Sara said...

Mary, you weren't supposed to read this! ;-)

I really do think I need something nice and tough for the guys, though. Maybe some leather pony-tail holders or something???

mydisguises said...

i think dr. reese should get a puppy. or a pony.

Sara said...

Kelly - Maybe Dr. Paulenich has a pony I could borrow for Dr. Reese? I wonder though, is it Dr. Reese or his wife who wants a puppy and a pony?

Amy said...

Good luck today Sara! Though I'm sure you'll do fine. I can't believe you're reading on a Friday! Damn, I may have to miss it...