Lately, I've been obsessing over my dream-office. Watching a lot of home renovation shows will do that to you. I must have built-in floor to ceiling bookshelves and a giant window seat before my life will be complete. In the meantime, I will continue buying cheap-o particle board bookshelves at the end of every semester to keep up with my ever growing collection.
I'd like a nice kitchen, too, but really, that is so much less important.
*
The weather here is friggin' awesome today and was awesomer yesterday. I know awesomer isn't a word, but I don't care.
*
OSU lost. Normally, I wouldn't know this, but I was talked into watching the game with friends.
*
I think the delay is almost over. I think I will write something today.
*
So, no one is going to help me decide about the ms conundrum, huh?
Poem: Far Gone
2 days ago
5 comments:
I second the windowseat. I told my fiance that a windowseat is my only demand for our dream house of the future. As for the manuscript waverings, I'd say send it, but as I mentioned yesterday I know nil about poetry publishing.
Having not put a book manuscript together, I'm not a lot of help in that department. However, something else to consider, although not all poets do this, is perhaps putting a chapbook together. I like Finishing Line Press.
I didn't comment on the manuscript, because I haven't been in that same boat yet. My completely unfounded, uneducated, probably pulled directly out of my ass, opinion is: don't worry about the acknowledgements page -- put together the best ms. you can put together, regardless of the publication history of the individual poems. I know that when I put together my chapbook ms., I left out a lot of poems that had appeared in good journals, because they just didn't seem to fit the ms., and I put in some poems that had either been rejected a bunch or that were new enough not to have really made the rounds of journals yet. In retrospect, I almost wish I'd left out a few of the latter, because now that they're going to be in the chapbook I don't think I can send them out to most journals, and I wonder whether I've deprived them of their chance to be read, in a way. Oh, who knows. Anyway, try to read through your ms. without regard to publication history, and if it feels whole and solid and ready to go out, send it out -- but if you think "gee, I could do better" then maybe hang on to it a while. Better to send out a truly fabulous ms. next year than a less-than-stellar one now, y'know?
Windowseats are lovely. :)
i have a three windowseats. the cats enjoy them very much!
Kelly, you don't have to brag.
Everyone - thanks for the ideas. I'm going to give it a shot and see what happens. And revise in the inevitable waiting period. Karen, I've been thinking about chapbooks too. So many decisions!
Post a Comment