Tuesday, March 11, 2008

I'm Sorry...

For being such a whiny blogger lately. I go through phases. Right now, I'm in a "This sucks. What's next?" phase and not doing a very good job of being in the moment. Half-assing just about everything from doing the dishes to grading papers. I've been trying to write, but even that is lack-luster--although I did get a new Bisbee poem out on Saturday; better yet, it's a Stella in Bisbee poem, so it can actually go in the manuscript. I've also got 10 pages of the memoir written, but that is such slow work...oy! And really, it's kind of boring. I may not stick with it. I keep saying that, but I'll keep pounding at the keys when I can, and eventually I'll have a first draft. Then comes the fun part--revising.

I'll blame it on the weather, and, as Anne calls it, Daylight Stupid Time. Who wants to get out of bed when it's still dark at 7:30?

Something funny happened today though. A couple of my Tues-Thurs students said they wouldn't be in class on Thursday because of the big game (what big game? I wondered)--one is on the dance team and the other is a basketball fanatic. Anyway, it turns out UA's basketball team is playing in the MAC championships for the first time. And I said, "Oh, that's why Darryl's out all week." He gave me one of those athlete "I'm traveling for the team" letters last week, but I didn't think much of it. So, A., the basketball fanatic, said, "Who's Darryl?" and I said, "the guy who usually sits over there" (pointing). A. gets this funny look on his face and says, "What's his last name?" So, I tell him, and then A. says, "Shut up! You mean D-Rob is in this class?" He goes nuts, like I just told him Lebron James was in the class or something. Apparently, D-Rob (aka Darryl) looks a lot different on the court than quietly sitting in the class...and apparently D-Rob is quite the basketball player. A celebrity, in my class. Who knew?

Last fall, when I went to the UA/KSU football game, I kept looking for former students on the field, but none of them were playing. I guess if I went to the basketball game that wouldn't be the case.

I hope someday he's on ESPN and I can brag about grading his papers.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the stella poem because Lalo is in it!

Sara said...

Thanks! I knew you would. : )