Saturday, March 15, 2008

Late Night

I haven't posted past midnight in a while...it's that early teaching schedule. But I'm on spring break, so schedules be damned.

I have a huge mental block on finishing and submitting my manuscript, but I just finished whittling it down to a neat 26 page chapbook. I'll be sending it out next week. I'm not asking anyone to read it and I'm not telling anyone what the title is until it's printed and mailed. I have a serious issue with indecisiveness, so I'm trusting my gut on this one.

I think this is the right step--the hesitation for my thesis-turned-ms is partially fear, but also partially an awareness that, although I'm very happy with it, it isn't finished. There are still poems I want to write, poems I want to revise, and it just isn't time yet. Summer or fall, maybe, but I'm not going to push it. I want to be totally in love with my first book when it comes out. And I'm totally in love with my chapbook. Then again, this was just the first date, and I have a tendency to get attatched too soon. Ask me how I feel about it in the morning. But not before 10, since it's almost 2 now.

*

I still haven't heard anything from the last school...but I got another annoying graduate newsletter email from them today. I get excited every time I see the name in my inbox, but then I read the email and at the bottom, it says "Contact your department for the status of your application" and I realize that they're just teasing me. If I don't hear anything tomorrow I'm calling Monday. Wait, make that Tuesday. Monday is St. Patrick's day, and even though I'm not Irish, my friends are.

2 comments:

Tobin F. Terry said...

Sara, this comment was posted about 3 1/2 hours before I got up, and everyone is Irish on St. Patrick's day. They did a study. It's true.

Sara said...

Toby, I'm confused. But yeah, I'll be Irish for a day. You still owe me breakfast. Have a green beer with me and all will be forgiven.