Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Whatever

Feeling blah today. Maybe because of the weather: rain, wind, ice. And it's just going to get worse. I'm so ready for spring--and spring break. I need some time to gather my thoughts.


All the programs I applied to claim that they will announce their decisions this week. I hope that's true. I'm very tired of waiting, although my gut tells me that my one yes is my only yes. But then, I am a true pessimist, and things often go better than I expect. I forget who said it, but this is totally me: "The nice thing about pessimism is that you're constantly being proved right or are pleasantly surprised."

*
I can't decide what I should do for work this summer. Here are the options:

1) Call the temp agency, spend my summer like this.

2) Look for a serving or bartending job (which didn't go very well last year)

3) Call the bbq company I worked for the summer after high school and see if they'll take me back.

Traveling for rib cook-offs is both the most and least appealing of the options. On the upside, it's great money, there's tons of interesting people on the rib circuit (like the guy to the left--Butch, not Bobby Flay (not to mention meeting celebrities like Little John and Al Gore)), plenty of down-time for writing and reading (esp. while driving to and from shows), and I'd get to see the midwest from the back seat of a diesel pick-up again. On the down side, I'd smell like a fire pit for 3 months, would have to stand on asphalt for 8-12 hours a day regardless of the weather (95 and humid? fun! 55 and pouring? even better!) and would be pretty much held hostage during the events because everyone has to be there from open to close even when it's not busy. Now, all of this could be pointless if they don't need any more help, but if they do...am I too old for this stuff? I was exhausted all the time when I was 18 and doing it, and now I'm older, in worse shape, and a smoker. Pathetic (not that I'm pathetic, but it's pathetic that I'm making work decisions based on the fact that I'm a lazy ass couch potato). So, what's a girl to do?
It would make for interesting blog posts, though, that's for sure.

No comments: