Monday, May 18, 2009

Library vs. Everything Else, Round 2

In continuing my library experiment, I went to the public library around the corner (yes, literally around the corner, 1/2 a block from my front door) and rented some movies. I then promptly canceled my Netflix account because with Netflix, I was getting 2 movies a month for five dollars, and at the library I got 3 movies all at once for zero dollars. I thought this was smart and economical. Until I returned my movies today and went looking for more, and discovered that the selection sucks. On the other hand, you can put things on hold at the library, which is kind of like the queue on Netflix, so I guess in the long run, I'm still saving $5 a month.

However...I still like to buy books. I went to Borders today because I had a gift certificate. Gift certificates are great except when you spend twice as much as the gc is worth. It's not that hard to do math in my head, but it is hard to decide which books I want to read--er, own.

Anyway. Here's what I bought today:

Mary Oliver, Dream Work
Denise Levertov, Selected Poems
Frank O'Hara, Lunch Poems
David Lehman, Great American Prose Poems
Richard Yates, Revolutionary Road

I promise myself and my bank account and my sagging bookshelves that I won't buy any more books this summer. Unless, well, unless I just have to have them.

No comments: