Sunday, May 31, 2009

Summer Reading

This is way too ambitious--50 books. I'm a slow reader. But I'm going to do my best. This is an odd amalgamation of books on my shelves that I've never gotten around to reading, books that have been recommended to me, a little poetry homework, and embarrassing gaps in my poetry background. I'm not listing any fiction, but hopefully will have time for a novel or two at some point. Here it is:

Poetry

Complete Works:

Walt Whitman

Emily Dickinson

Lorine Niedecker

Arthur Rimbaud

Wallace Stevens

Anne Sexton

John Keats

Thom Gunn

Dylan Thomas

Robert Frost

Selected Poems:

Percy Bryce Shelley

Donald Justice

Denise Levertov

Midnight Voices, Deborah Ager

Theories of Falling, Sandra Beasley

Manna Sifting, Garrett Brown

My Last Duchess & Other Poems, Robert Browning

Raefton Georgics, Garin Cychol

Furious Lullaby, Oliver De La Paz

Practical Gods, Carl Dennis

Then, Suddenly, Lynn Emanuel

Keep This Forever, Mark Halliday

Birthday Letters, Ted Hughes

Intaglio, Ariana-Sophia Kartsonis

Hallelujah Blackout, Alex Lemon

Undersong, Audre Lorde

Cadaver Dogs, Rebecca Loudon

The Lion Bridge: Selected Poems 1972-1995, Michael Palmer

Torched Verse Ends, Steven Schroeder

The Darkness Around Us is Deep, William Stafford

Ohio Violence, Alison Stine

The Rented Violin, Karen Whaley

Self-Portrait With Crayon, Alison Benis White

Steal Away, C.D. Wright

The World of Ten Thousand Things, Charles Wright

Easter 1917 and Other Poems, W.B. Yeats

The Second Person, C. Dale Young

Strike Anywhere, Dean Young

Poetics

The Life of Poetry, Muriel Rukeyser

How Does a Poem Mean, John Ciardi and Miller Williams

A Poetry Handbook, Mary Oliver

A Poet’s Guide to Poetry, Mary Kinzie

Non-Fiction

Unbearable Weight, Susan Bordo and Leslie Heywood

Gum Dipped, Joyce Dyer

Desire in Language, Julia Kristeva

Limbo: Blue Collar Roots, White Collar Dreams, Alfred Lubrano

Capital, Karl Marx (maybe)

The Noonday Demon, Andrew Solomon

Why I Am a Catholic, Garry Willis


*

On a slightly different note, I need to compile a list of poetry books published in the last two years for my intro to poetry course (obviously I'm not going to be able to list all of them...). I'm going to have my students write book reviews for their midterm project. Do you have a book I should add to the list?

4 comments:

M. Cherry said...

Godspeed!

Lots of great stuff on that list.

Sara said...

Why, thank you. And why didn't I know you had a blog?

M. Cherry said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
M. Cherry said...

Not many people do. It is an undiscovered gem!

Ha.