I hate to leave my blog un-updated for so long, so a quick post before I get to work.
I turned in the rental application for a pretty nice townhouse this morning. We'll know tomorrow if we're approved, and if so, I'll be moving as soon as the semester is over. I'm alternately super excited and dreading having to pack and move. The super excited part lasts longer, though.
I'm writing my term papers about Simone Muench and we've been emailing back and forth. How cool is the internet? (And your profs introducing you to their writer friends?) I couldn't have imagined using the author of a book as a source when I was an undergrad. I also sent her a few of my poems and I am beyond excited about what she had to say about them.
In addition to the wonderful insights from Simone, I've been reading a lot of feminist criticism to get ready for these papers. I even bought a copy of Gilbert & Gubar's Madwoman in the Attic (although I haven't had a chance to read any of it). I also read an essay called "Why Contemporary Poetry isn't Taught in the Academy" (or something like that) by Michael McIrvin that really got me thinking. I'll post more on that later. It's strange how sometimes I "get" what I read and sometimes it all sounds like gibberish. But I feel like I'm learning something (or maybe "gaining comprehension" is a better way to describe what's going on in my head) so I guess that's the point, right? Maybe feminist criticism isn't the puzzle I thought it was at the beginning of the semester.
Poem: Far Gone
3 days ago
No comments:
Post a Comment