After a day spent lounging in a medicine induced haze (bloodwork good, got a new perscription) I thought I wasn't going to get much accoplished. I had planned on putting in some new job applications, getting some work done at the old apartment, and grocery shopping, but the new medicine made me woozy and drowsy, so I decided driving wouldn't be the best idea. Luckily, I got a second wind around nine and drafted a poem, my very first 2 pager ever! For some reason, I usually run out of ideas about 2/3rds down the first page. It's very frustrating. But not this time.
My thesis is now 37 pages long. Only 13 more to get to the minimum. I've been doing a lot of incubation the past few days, making notes and listening to the poems rattle around in my head. I guess it worked. I'm still struggling with the idea of writing persona poems, but I've kind of committed myself to the project, so we'll see if it gets easier as I get into it. One of the problems I'm having is point of view. I use a lot of I's and You's in my poems, but they're not consistent. The you in one poem is the I in another. I'm afraid that once I've gotten them all written, it's going to be confusing. I feel like I should have one speaker throughout and use third person for the poems she isn't involved in, but that would mean a lot of revision and I'm not sure it would really benefit the poems as individual pieces. I've been thinking about "The Series" so much that I'm having trouble thinking of single poems. I can't wait for workshop to begin--I need some readers.
Poem: Far Gone
2 days ago
No comments:
Post a Comment