Saturday, September 22, 2007

Fish out of water

I went to my first tailgate party and college football game today. Yes, that's right. I'm about to finish my masters and this is the first game I've ever been to.

The surprise? I had fun. Bigger surprise? I was actually yelling. Not just rah-rah yelling, but actual "Get the ball you dumb ass" and "catch-him, catch-him, catch-him" kind of yelling. Like I cared about the game. Like after 26 years of pretending not to pay attention, I've really learned (most) of the rules to football.

Unfortunately I forgot my camera, so I can't post any pictures of thunder sticks, bacon and egg sandwiches from the grill, or me drinking a giant screwdriver from a travel mug at 8 a.m.

I was worried about running into my students, but I didn't see any of them. I did run into some old writing lab friends and one of my intro to poetry students from my internship with Mary.

Oh, for those of you who care, Akron beat Kent State 27-20. Go Zips!

1 comment:

mydisguises said...

i think i've been to one ysu game in my +20 years there. but when i watch football, often reluctantly, on the tube, i swear and rant and scream and it's so much fun and i kind of "get" the attraction.