Saturday, December 29, 2007

Blog as teaching tool?

I think I mentioned this a while back, but I'm planning to have my students in Comp 2 (argumentation) keep blogs this coming semester.

Does anyone have any experience with this sort of thing? Know of good resources? Thoughts or suggestions? Please let me know, *especially* if it was a disaster.

Thanks!

4 comments:

Karen J. Weyant said...

I have taught online, which isn't exactly the same thing, I know, but there are some common components --- One of the biggest obstacles I faced was getting my students to realize that it was a classroom writing setting and that they couldn't lapse into textmessaging mode. On the other hand, I believe this vehicle allows students who are shy in the classroom express themselves more freely. If you choose to go this route, such experiments may make you more marketable in the academic world. More and more colleges want experience in the classroom with "technology".

Good Luck!

Sara said...

Thanks Karen! I'm teaching this course in a computer lab, which is why I thought I might do something online, but hadn't thought of the texting disease. Hmm...

jessica said...

hey girl. i've done blogs a few time with my comp students and actually they work really well. one suggestion i would have is a very VERY specific HOW TO sheet on getting set up--otherwise it will be three weeks until everyone "gets" it and even longer before their is the fusion learning!

mydisguises said...

sounds like a good plan. i would also suggest real clear rules about what is and isn't permissible, including links, pics, etc. maybe it would be helpful to have the students, as a group, help you create an ideal blog as a "model." but then again....