Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Snow Day!

Yes, he's cute, but more importantly, Wayne Miller writes good poems. Check out my review of Only the Senses Sleep on the Barn Owl Review Blog. Oh, and it just so happens that this review is weather-appropriate, see: There is a chill in almost every poem, a billowing wind that makes readers want to grab the nearest sweater.

Speaking of BOR, did you get your copy yet?



***

It is cold and snowy today. We got sent home from UA at 12:30. Right in time for all of us to drive through the worst of the snow. It's raining now, which makes me very, very glad to be home. It sounds like someone is throwing sand at my window.

For some reason, I felt like taking pictures of my ugly gloves. I only wear these when I'm smoking in the garage. I smoke in the garage because it's no fun smoking on the porch anymore. Oh, how I miss the summer. I suppose the easier, more logical solution would be to quit smoking, but I'm not really eager to try that again. You remember what happened last time.

Anyhow, I'm excited about my short workday today, and thinking I might get some work done tonight on my manuscript. Cross your fingers for me, because those deadlines are getting closer and closer.

Oh, and speaking of deadlines, I got a letter from one of the programs I applied to--and they're not considering my application because it was incomplete. Except I can't get a hold of anyone who can tell me what was missing. Aargh! Hopefully this is the only incomplete application out there. The waiting is taking years off my life. I'd really like to know what's going on.

***
I've been a bad blogging buddy lately. Congrats to you, you, and you, and get well soon to you.


7 comments:

Meagan said...

I believe ugly gloves are kind of "in" right now.

Marissa said...

Don't fret too much over the applications. You'll get in somewhere. You probably didn't want to go there anyway. They probably lost the part of the application that they SAY you didn't do.

(This always works for me.)

Karen J. Weyant said...

Drat! I am having trouble with blogger and my comments aren't saving! I will try again. Great review, and yet another poetry book to add to my reading list for '08! I agree with Marissa -- don't worry too much about the applications. I know I sound like a parent here, but life does have its way of working itself out.

Anne Haines said...

Sigh, no BOR here yet! Although it could be sitting in my PO box right now; the roads were so icy that I came straight home from work at 6 instead of stopping by the post office. I'll have it tomorrow, probably!

Sara said...

Meagan: in or not, I wouldn't wear those gloves out of my garage unless you paid me!

Marissa & Karen: Thanks! I'm sure you're right, but I like to stress myself out about things like this. I'm only happy when I'm whining.

Anne: Get to the post office! Your owl is probably getting cold. : )

Anne Haines said...

Got it! :) Now if only I could call in sick tomorrow so I'd have time to read it before the weekend... heh.

Jeannine said...

Dear S, Thanks for the congrats, and I am looking forward to my husband's venturing the 3 hours back to my PO Box to see if BOR is waiting for me!