I should be cleaning, or grading, or working on my manuscript, but instead, here I am. Surprise.
Sometimes, I wonder what it would be like to have a life where I actually take weekends off. Even when I was working a normal (9-5) job, I was always taking classes. Okay, I know I'm spoiled. I just took half the summer off. And the whole summer before that. But I was in school mode the whole time, writing & reading close to 40 hours a week. Does anyone get to just go home from work and relax anymore?
I think I'm going to order a pizza today. For some reason, I feel guilty about it.
I wrote a poem last night. It wasn't like my usual stuff, but I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.
I have a meeting with VO on Monday. To talk about my memoir proposal. Don't tell Mary. I wonder what Wasserman would say about me writing non-fiction. Better or worse than poetry? Maybe I'll start working on that romance novel just to get him off my back.
the anxieties of blue skies
1 week ago
4 comments:
Maybe he would. I feel your pain about never having the weekend off. I have done nothing but read for the past week for my class and now I at home reading all day for the same class next week. Don't feel bad about pizza maybe it will give you the idea you need for that romance novel. Hope you got your voice back
Okay all y'all, let me show you what not having weekends off is *really* like. ;)
I will forgive you for the nonfiction, Sara. There are no secrets in poetryland...
Sure, Mary, play the two-kids-and-a-tenure-track-job card. That's fair. : )
I can't help but wonder -- is there really such thing as a normal job anymore? When I was an adjunct, I also worked retail. When I was a grad student, I also worked a bit in publishing. When I was a reporter for a small town newspaper, I often worked weekends! With my current job, I go by the general advice a friend gave me: You never really get caught up with your work. You just run out of time! Don't feel guilty about the pizza. There are so many other things in life to feel guilty about. :) (In my case, it's chocolate.)
Post a Comment