When I sign up for a class called Contemporary American Women Poets, I want to read and talk about poetry. Not feminist criticism. Just like when I sign up for a poetry workshop, I don't want to spend 15 weeks writing ekphrastic poems. I'm starting to think that all profs should provide their syllabus for prospective students when it is time to register for classes because I am tired of getting schnookered into classes that I'm not interested in.
So far, in this CAWP class, we've read Stein, HD, Marianne Moore, Rukeyser, and Bishop. But, during our class meetings, we've discussed Saussere, Derrida, Gilbert & Gubar, Cixous, Freud, Lacan, etc. I'm okay with using theory to supplement my reading, but it seems the other way around. Let's just talk about some poems, please!
Meanwhile, I am not keeping up with my goal to write one new poem and revise one old poem every week. That seemed do-able at the beginning of the semester, but already I'm swamped. It's the middle of week 4. There's only 11 left. Not enough time!! Well, at least that means there's only 11 weeks left until Ohio is no longer a frozen tundra. I don't know why they call this spring semester, anyway.
I'm sorry, faithful readers (all four of you), for being so whiny. I'll try to post a happy blog tomorrow.
the anxieties of blue skies
1 week ago
No comments:
Post a Comment