Yesterday, at my best friend's bridal shower, there were a lot of teachers around (elementary school teachers) and they were all getting calls that their schools would be closed today. The kids have to walk to school, and since the wind chill is -20, they don't have to go. I have to walk to class! Why isn't my school closed??
I'm exhausted from planning the shower and putting it together yesterday. I don't like telling other adults what to do (I'm the youngest child and used to deferring) so I was very tense about "being in charge" of the whole thing, and I'm just drained. I would really love a day off. Instead, I have to brave the artic tundra for freshman comp, thesis meeting, and brides-maid-dress fitting.
Speaking of my thesis meeting...I just came across some interesting advice on putting together a chapbook (which is the goal of my 1st semester of thesis hours) over at B00k of Kells. She said:
If I have any advice for other poets working on a chapbook, my mind returns to my class with Ann Spiers:
1) Focus on a strict theme or telling a story
2) Look at your chapbook and instead of taking poems out to make it stronger, start with your strongest poems and write the ones that are missing.
3) Write, Revise, Repeat.
Let the story or theme emerge in your chapbook then focus on it completely. Decide what needs to be written and when it comes to poems you’re not sure are strong enough I follow this advice—when in doubt, leave it out.
This sounds like wonderful, thoughtful advice, but I'm a little terrified by it, especially that strict theme or story, since my family series seems to be unravelling rather than growing. I guess I'll just cross my fingers and start typing.
Poem: Far Gone
2 days ago
No comments:
Post a Comment