Part I: Humble Pie
Two rejections in 24 hours. Balances out the good news from earlier in the week.
Part II: Can English Save the Planet?
Today, this guy came to U of A to talk about composition. At the beginning of his talk, he asked "Why teach writing?" and at the end he said "to save the planet." Critical Pedagogy. Bleh! Why can't I just teach writing so my students learn to write??? I was really disappointed because I'm using his text book (which I think is perfect so far) and he didn't even mention it, or how it might be a tool towards this world-changing way of teaching writing. I suppose he might have during Q&A, but I had to leave for class, so if he did, I missed it.
At any rate, I still don't see how comp classes can/are supposed to change the world/society/culture etc. Don't college freshmen have enough to worry about without being urged to become political activists of some sort? Or am I still misunderstanding critical pedagogy? It makes me a little bit crazy trying to figure it out. Which is why I am no longer studying composition.
Poem: Far Gone
2 days ago
1 comment:
llxlDon't trust a word he says. He's simply defending his ideas and trying to give himself a bit of job security.
Yes, writing matters. Yes it is, I dare say, and essential skill, but to what degree? Writing for the likes of you and me will not lead to saving the planet, but we use it far more than someone with a business degree. Does he really think advertising will save the planet? No. He's obviously passionate about writing, as those of us who teach writing should all be, but he is in his ivory tower, and has been far too long.
If he taught in the public school system for any length of time, and I mean more thn a 1 week workshop, he would learn how most students look at writing without any creative thought. As it is, he gets to walk in, be entertaining for an hour or two, believing that same level of enthusiasm can/should be maintained.
I personally think he is sublimating what is really needed (creative thought) with the field in which he works. Because he teaches writing (well, the teaching of writing) he thinks writing is the saving grace, the silver bullet if you will. It's not. Writing is merely one strategy for forcing a connection between the brain on the inside with the world on the outside, and what do you do when the brain on the inside cannot or does not want to work?
Take the specific strategies he offers which you find useful, and ignore EVERYTHING else.
Post a Comment