Friday, October 19, 2007

Ingredients

Almost every year, my family puts together a clam bake in the fall. It's a great tradition, but I hate clams. In fact, I hate clams so much that I won't eat anything that was cooked in the steamer with them. And I certainly won't eat the chowder.

Since I don't eat the clams, I make a bunch of munchies. I have a serious weakness for finger food. So, by this time tomorrow, all the food in the picture will become: zesty ranch bread, spicy sausage dip, and some sort of chocolate mousse pie (I forget what the cookbook calls it...hence the lack of cheesy adjectival description). The only one I've made before is the sausage dip. I hope the rest is good.

*


I don't know what my deal is with blast-from-the-past photos, but here's one of me and my nephew (now roommate) scrubbing clams. That's the best part about not living at home any more. There are really few things grosser than scrubbing the sand and grit off of live clams. (Oh, and this is during my never-ending awkward phase, around 14. And I had a cold. I'm not always a mouth breather.) You know, I forgot I used to be taller than Michael. Weird.





3 comments:

mydisguises said...

what's the sausage dip recipe? i'm looking to make new things for the partay!

Sara said...

It's super easy:

1 lb sausage
1 and 1/2 cups chopped onion
1 can diced tomatoes w/ green chilies
8oz cream chees
16 oz sour cream
crushed red pepper

brown sausage, then add onion. cook until tender. add tomatoes, simmer 15 minutes. Remove from heat, add sour cream and cream cheese. Top with red pepper flakes.

I haven't found the best sausage flavor to use - bob evans original makes it taste too much like breakfast, but Italian isn't quite right either. I'm trying the bob evans hot and spicy this time, so we'll see how it works.

Justin Evans said...

It's hard to believe that an Evans has let you down in the past. He must be from 'those' Evans, the ones we don't really talk about at the reunion. Well, at least he went into the sausage business. Imagine if he was something horrid, like a poet.