Happy anniversary to me. I've been blogging for a year today. A lot has happened since then: my first publication (which reminds me--I just found out I'll have a poem in January's issue of Hobble Creek Review. Yay!), my trip to Bisbee, and my best friend's wedding, just to name a few. I love it here in blogland. I hope I stay forever.
*
Anybody seen Moonlight? It's a new show on CBS about modern-day vampires. I admit, I've been fascinated with vampires since I was a kid, so I couldn't pass up this show. And I'm trying to like it. But the acting is so-so, the film-noir-esq narration is maddening, and the premise (vampire with a heart of gold helps innocent-looking blond reporter solve murder mysteries) is a little sickening. But I can't stop staring at the carnage.
One thing I do like about it is the updates they've made to traditional vampire-lore. No fear of garlic, stake through the heart paralyzes, not kills, the sun makes them sick but won't make them burst into flame.
Let's face it. I'm not as discriminating about television as I am about books. I was a huge fan of Charmed, after all. I'll keep watching the show until it's cancelled, which I imagine will be sometime before Christmas.
*
Thinking about my thesis defense (less than a month away now!). *Someone* hinted that he may ask me, "If you were to write a blurb for your book, what would you say?" Also thinking about "what's at stake?" and "so what?" type questions. What's at stake? Me. My soul. My self-worth. Do you think that's an acceptable answer? Nah. Maybe something a little less self involved. But really... it will be difficult to think of these poems as anything but an exploration of self. Sure, it's about family. It's about coming of age. It's about working class issues. It's about relationships and love and sex. But it's all about me. How to turn that into an academically acceptable answer will be constantly on my mind for the next 3 and a half weeks.
2 comments:
just finishing slouka's book myself. i am stunned by it on almost every page,the language is so lush and the prose so straightforward. it reminds me a lot of kundera--that narrative voice. i can only read it in 20 page chunks or so, though, because it is so good and so intense and so sad. if i do it with whiskey in hand, i'm done for.
Happy Blogirthday.
Post a Comment