Monday, October 08, 2007

Jigsaw Puzzle

Well, it's official. My thesis/manuscript has sections. 5 of them. This seems somewhat excessive to me, but I can't make it fit into 3. One section always ends up too long.

Oh, and there's a new title. But I don't think I ever said what the old one was.

I'm afraid to post any more than that...it feels like jinxing the process.

It is incredibly weird to think that in just a few short weeks, I'll have a manuscript ready for the contest circuit. That means I need to start finding contests. This semester, however stressful, has been really exciting so far. Thinking about PhDs and first books and having absolutely no idea where I'm going to be or what I'm going to be doing a year from now is pretty freaking overwhelming, but in a good way. As attached as I am to this place, the people I currently share my life with, and this time in my life, I do feel like I've gotten what I needed from my MFA, both in terms of professional development/as a writer and on a personal level. As someone who's said "I want to be a writer" for probably 20 years already, it's surreal to say "I am a writer" instead--to say that I've achieved a life long dream feels a little like a stretch (maybe it will feel less so when I have a shiny, glossy book with my name on the cover), but I'm getting used to it.

Well, I have many more thoughts to share, but class starts in 45 minutes so I should probably go.

No comments: