Did you know I walk Mary's dog once a week? I do. Except, I haven't for 2 weeks. So I'm really looking forward to it today. Even though it's pretty chilly outside. (I used to work at a Ruby Tuesday, though, so it's kinda funny that my Rubi day is Tuesday, isn't it? Or am I a bigger dork than I thought?)
I'm going to make beef stew when I get home. I haven't made that in a long, long time.
There's a ginormous geek squad van in my parking lot right now. Someone must be having a really geeky problem if they had to send the van instead of the Beetle.
Randomness. If you can't tell, I'm a fan.
So, I am seriously thinking about sending out my thesis to first book contests. I didn't think it would be ready so soon, but every time I touch it, it feels done. Just one problem. I think I'm going to miss most of the deadlines. Anybody know about good 1st book contests with December/January deadlines?
I decided not to study for the Lit GRE. I know what I know, and I'm not going to learn anything between now and Saturday. I'd rather just cross that mountain off my to do list.
*
About blogs...
I've been thinking a lot about the appropriateness of my blog. I keep finding out about people who read it that I wouldn't expect to (say, random profs at UA who I've never had class with, classmates that I don't know very well, my mother on an increasingly regular basis). I wonder if someone at PhD program X has been reading all along, and when they get my application, they'll say, "this chick is crazy, don't let her in!" Also, next semester, when I join the Adjunct Army, I'll be teaching one computer lab class, so I've been thinking about making my students write their own blogs. If I do that, I feel like I'll have to go through my archives and delete anything where I whine about my students or my teaching ability.
So, the question is, how do I balance the two functions of this blog (1. po-biz/grad school self-promotion and 2. the ramblings of an ego-maniac with an inferiority complex)? Any suggestions, oh great blog experts?
Poem: Far Gone
3 days ago
1 comment:
I think the blog thing is tricky. I just realized not too long ago myself, that in a few short months I will be teaching in a public school and all it takes to get to my blog is a one little googling of my name. And there it...picture and all. So no online whining about students, teachers, or any vague general concept that will be easily recognizable to anyone I don't want it to be. I guess I'll have to get more professional about the blog.
Post a Comment