- Thinking about Lent today. And religion and faith. I haven't been to church/mass in a very long time, and have some conflicting feelings about my past as a bible thumper, but today, I'm missing that part of my life.
- Getting more and more frustrated about the PhD decision waiting game. I just want to start planning. Is that too much to ask?
- I'm still not recovered from AWP. My suitcase is still in the middle of the room, waiting to be emptied and put away. I'm tired. And my voice is still raspy.
- Silliman says: I am not at all certain that any MFA program should admit a student who cannot name a minimum of 100 books of contemporary poetry – published in the past 25 years – and say a little about each. And I am not sure that I would graduate any student who did not then seriously read 200 more such books over the next period of time. I think I might be a smidge behind.
- I printed out 5 submission packets today. But now the post office is closed, so they won't go out until tomorrow. Part of me wants to print out new cover letters so the date is right.
- Speaking of submissions, my mailbox has been without poetry news for a long time. Dear editors, please send me something!
5 comments:
It's weird... I've never even been religious but after 17 (17!!!) years of Catholic school I get a bit of a twinge around Lent as well. As for MFA requirements, I wonder if Silliman includes non-poetry students in that statement... if so I'd be beyond screwed. Good thing we're already in an MFA program (well you're through, but you know what I mean) so... naner naner naner?
I can't name that many and I read everything.
Meagan, the Silliman quote is from a survey about the state of contemporary poetry, but I imagine it would be an insert-your-genre-here type of thing. Have you read 300 contemporary novels?
Sara, that sounds like a really good possibility for me. What would the hours be like? I am supposed to intern for the press this summer as well. (Though, I haven't heard back from Amy Freels for a while.)
Marissa-I sent you an email!
Post a Comment