Saturday, September 01, 2007

September

Ladies and Gentlemen, I am blogging from my back porch. Don't know why I never thought of this before.

The first week of school is over and I am feeling better. Maybe I've gotten enough sleep. Maybe I'm eating better. Maybe I was just not feeling the transition. But I'm in the swing of things now.

I haven't been writing much, what with all the class prep, phd nonsense, general stress, etc., but I wrote a nice long rough draft this morning. That felt nice.

I graded my students' first homework assignment and was pleasantly surprised. Everyone knows how to write a sentence. Almost everyone had something interesting to say, and the ones who didn't were getting close. This makes me very happy, but slightly concerned. This is the best starting point I've had...which means that I'm going to have to teach more advanced concepts to keep them challeneged and engaged. More work. hrumph. Who am I kidding? I can't think of much that would be better than a group of college freshman who actually came to the first week of class prepared. It should be a good semester.

Tonight, I'll be heading over to Jana's house for a big ole' mfa gathering. With food and wine. And a bonfire. I'm looking forward to it.

I will have some exciting news soon. I hope you're dying from suspense.

5 comments:

mydisguises said...

have fun at the party. i can't make it, but who knows if some abercrombie guy might show up....

Justin Evans said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Justin Evans said...

Do I hear an acceptance to a Ph.D. program warming up in the wings?

Sara said...

Kelly, there was a certain abercrombie guy there...unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to talk to him very much.

Justin, nothing on the PhD front, but something more immediately gratifying.

mydisguises said...

he must have looked nice in the bonfire light, though :-)