I seem to have confused Jessica and Amy with my last PhD post. Here's the deal. I think that I want a PhD with a creative dissertation, but someone (CP) has made some compelling arguments that it isn't a good idea. I'm not fully convinced yet, but I'm looking at all the options. I think I'm probably going to apply to some writing programs and some lit programs and see where the universe takes me. The thing is, I want to take the lit classes and the comps (haha! I say that now...), I just don't really wanna write a critical dissertation. And I don't really want to take more workshops, but I do want to produce another manuscript.
So, WTF do I do now?
the anxieties of blue skies
1 week ago
4 comments:
I dunno but when you find out, I wanna do it too. I'd love to take the classes and get the feedback without the workshops . . .
There must be some hybrid program out there that focuses on Lit, but has a creative dissertation. My 20-year-old MA was a lit-based curriculum with a creative thesis (but that was before they received their MFA credentials). Does CP's argument have to do with jobs?
Amy--Not really...He thinks that MFA/Creative dis is redundant, that it would be better to have a more diversified education (I'm paraphrasing, of course). I think there are programs that do both, but I haven't found exactly what I'm looking for just yet.
University of Cinci has this kind of program (caveat: only one female professor in creative writing)...basically it's a lit degree with a creative thesis.
If you want to talk to someone there, Don Bogen is very sweet.
Post a Comment