Thursday, August 16, 2007

Jimmy riggin'

Instead of working on my thesis, researching phd programs, or writing my class plans, I have spent most of this week reorganizing my life. Cleaning. Doing laundry. Color-coding my closet. Next up? Going through all my paper files including old cell phone bills, intrest rate notices about my student lones, and poem drafts. Hopefully I will realize that I don't need half of this crap and when I'm done, my room won't be so cluttered.


There is a closet in my room that is right over the stairwell, so the floor is slanted. Up to this point, I've just been throwing crap in it and having it all fall on me every time I open the door. I was waiting for my oh-so-handy nephew/roommate to build me some shelves, but lets face it, the kid is as busy, if not busier, than me, so I just went ahead and jimmy-rigged it myself. Here's what it looks like now:


I'm still wasting quite a bit of space, but hopefully this whole makeshift shelving system I created won't come crashing down on me anytime soon.
See what happens when procrastination gets creative? Fun!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This sounds like a lot more fun than studying for the GRE. I think I'm going to go now and alphabetized all my books.

Anonymous said...

I've been doing the same thing. This week I realized that I have 2 weeks left of all this free time, and what haven't I done that I inteneded to do before the fall semsester starts? Back in May I cleaned out the attic, the closets, the shed, and sold a lot of it at a yard sale, but I never tackled the ridiculous paper war that rages daily. So today I started by throwing out some check stubs, old bills, etc. I don't know why I save so much stuff. My new rule is that I will only keep on hand one small box of paper stuff. If it fills up, then I clean it out. That's it.

Anyone want a filing cabinet? I refuse to hang onto this much stuff.

mydisguises said...

the closet looks great. you could use the extra wall space to hang jewelry on. i'm in mood the try on all of my clothes today and look for "outfits." pretty much a waste of time, but sure easier than writing!