Sunday, August 19, 2007

Recluse

1. one who lives a secluded, solitary life

2. me

I've been cranky and anti-social all weekend...probably because I'm freaking out about going back to school, but who knows. At least my room is clean and with all the old poem drafts I went through last night, I'll never, ever run out of scrap paper. But I have to snap out of this soon, since next week is going to be super busy and then *poof* I'm chest-deep in my final semester of my MFA. Yikes.

I'm probably the only person who can go to school full time and still need 3 and a half years to finish a masters degree, but for some reason, I feel like it's coming too soon. I seem to have the opposite of senioritis. I just don't want it to end. (Hence the frantic search for PhD programs.)

I talked to one of my old bosses the other day and she essentially offered me a job when I graduate. (She's the one who told me it was okay to quit my day job so I could be a full time student. She's also the one who said it's easier to get back into corporate after a few years away than it is to get back into academia. Easier than I imagned, now!) At any rate, this is exactly the kind of thing I'm afraid of. Even though I don't like the lifestyle of a 9-5er, I did enjoy the work I did--it was very analytical and a little creative and allowed me to do my second favorite thing after writing: making spreadsheets. I know, I'm weird. But all that color coding and sorting and making tabs...it's fun!

Here's the thing. I have a tendency to make choices based on practicality rather than passion, and taking that job offer is way more practical. But I'm sure that I would hate myself in a couple years because I know that corporate life takes too much energy for me to continue writing with any kind of vigor. So, I told her that I would be interested in independent contracting work between programs, but nothing full time or permanent. That way, if for some reason no PhD program wants me, I won't be stuck waiting tables later on. But I'm crossing my fingers that I don't have to go there.

In other news, I'm dying to cut my hair. Most of my life I've been a short hair kinda girl, see:

This picture was taken at a wedding just before I started grad school. So, that means I've been growing it out for about 3 years. And talking myself out of cutting it again for about 2 and a half. I told myself I would let it get long enough to donate to locks of love, but I'm still 2 or 3 inches away and am soo ready to chop this stuff off.

All right, I know no one cares about my hair. Sorry.

Time to go work on that syllabus.

4 comments:

Nin Andrews said...

It's the rain. I'm molding inside today. I like the hair, short and long.

mydisguises said...

you look like a hot puerto rican chick!the short hair is very nice, but the long is good, too. tough choice.

marybid said...

Sara, I am having major haircut issues right now too. Maybe we should both promise not to do anything drastic until we meet on Wednesday. We can add it to the itinerary.

Nobody can write syllabi in this weather...myself included.

Sara said...

Thanks ladies! Kelly, it is so funny that you said I look puerto rican. That's what everyone says about my student id picture (taken the same summer). I was definitely a little over-tanned that year.

Anyhow, I toughed out the rain and got five weeks planned yesterday, so I'm feeling better.