After a whirlwind summer, I now realize I have less than 2 weeks until the first day of class. That means it's syllabus time. Actually, my syllabus has been done, what I really need is lesson plan time. Last year, I pretty much planned a day ahead. Didn't know enough to do otherwise. This year, I would like to not spend every evening scrambling for something to do the next day. I would like to have at least the first 3 weeks of class planned ahead of time. but first I need to check out my textbook and online handbook. I should get on that.
Last night, I spent some time looking for free GRE study guides online, but didn't find anything that made me happy. Anyone have any suggestions? (BTW, it really sucks that I have to take this stupid test again. I suppose "have to" isn't right...but my scores weren't very impressive the first time around.)
I also found this list of PhD programs in English from MLA. I went through the first 30 programs and already eliminated 13. I'm not sure what common wisdom says about PhD applications, but I think I'm going to try to narrow it down to five or six. I'm not made of money, you know, and I have to split my expendable income between phd app fees and first book contests. Or chapbook contests if I'm being realistic. Even though my thesis is in the final stages, I don't think I'll be ready for the contests in 07.
Sooo much to do! But before I get academic, i need to clean my messy, messy apartment!
Poem: Far Gone
2 days ago
5 comments:
Sara, are you thinking or did you already think about a PhD in Creative Writing? If so, what makes you want to go the Lit route?
I'm just curious about this newish trend in creative writing PhDs...
I recently bought the Kaplan GRE Guide. I like it because it really helps to demystify the questions themselves, so that you understand exactly what it is that they are asking for. The guide also gives you helpful hints on how to approach each question, even if it's one you might not know the answer to. It's about $35 and of course comes with plenty sample tests/questions and such. I’d definitely recommend it.
Are you going to take the GRE English subject test as well? Most PhDs require it on the app. I got Princeton Review, which was fine, and gave lots of practice tests both on paper and online. Oh, and are you thinking Lit now? I'm looking at places too and feel (still feel) overwhelmed with it all.
Thanks for the suggestions! I've posted an answer to your lit/CW questions Amy & Jessica. But the truth is I don't know!
When you apply to programs, ask the admissions director to return your application fee if you are rejected. It's an old law school strategy. I hear that some universities do in fact give the app. fee back when people claim poverty. The worst thing they can do is say 'no.' Besides, what are they going to do---accept your application jut to spite you out of your $80-120?
Post a Comment